Thursday, October 15, 2009

Dust 514 - More Info - Single Shard

More information is available about Dust 514 at a conceptual level now. As things flesh out this game is sounding more and more interesting. I like FPSs, but they aren't a core game of mine as they are with some other people here at Guild Launch. So, the idea of FPS/RPG MMOs intrigues me. I fully believe that Hi-Rez has hit on a good idea with Global Agenda, but Dust 514 looks like another excellent way to merge these genres.

One of CCP's unique strong points is knowledge of how to scale single shard game worlds. Eve Online is one massive game world that routinely holds 10s of thousands of players. CCP will be applying the same technique and experience to Dust 514. My hunch is that if CCP delivers a solid core FPS game then Dust 514 is going to be huge because of the interlinked game play. Their approach is another answer to the question of "How do we bridge FPS and RPG in an MMO environment?". My gut says that CCP has hit on one possible winning approach and you have to have a sister MMO to do it this way. Which means only a few can take this approach. Interesting...

-Stephen

1 comment:

Brokeneagle1 said...

I have been playing Eve Online now for almost 6 years. I believe I can say for the whole Eve Community that we are looking forward to the release of Dust 514, as the release of Dominion is only a cpl days away now.
Also I see more improvements coming to Eve Online before the release of Dust 514 of both better things in Eve as well as more work on the integration of Dust into Eve which I believe they already have on another server now.
Also I think the whole thing is awesome as I am more a puter gamer than console. Guess I have some learning to do as I just got a PS3 to be able to play Dust 514 upon release.
The integration of the games will only get better as time goes on knowing ccp & HALO should move over. Dust 514 will cover the conquering of planets and such while Eve Online will take it more space-bound, but the 2 will work together for sovereignty of areas.
Any and all upgrades you can make to accommodate us Eve Online playees would be greatly appreciated.