Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Cool things coming soon...

After working on sigs, I began researching geocoding. From Google's mapping API to Microsoft's, there's a lot one can do with these robust tools. Originally, I was aiming to integrate Google maps into my project but there are some rules that Google enforces that hindered my development; in order to develop on an intranet you pretty much have to fork out a crap ton of loot for their enterprise version. Having found that out, Microsoft's version seem to fit our needs.

Funny story, I wanted to get this out on our normal release schedule and ran into a snag towards the end of last week and the beginning of this week. I had the code all laid out, inserting into the db but it wasnt showing up on the map. Drove me crazy. Clicking around the map furiously, I guess my finger rolled over the wheel and zoomed the map out. I was focused in on a certain point on the map and the points that I inserted were Cozumel, Mexico and Vernazza, Italy. Nowhere near where I was focused on. The wonderful joys of programming.

We'll be adding more features with mappings but as of right now, you'll have to wait until the code gets pushed out to see what it can do...

No comments: