Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Windows 7, nVidia Drivers & Fan Speed

I recently updated my gaming a.k.a "At Home Mod Development" machine to the Win7 RC1 and then upgraded my nVidia drivers to first set of Windows 7 drivers, then I updated to the 185.85 series and ran into an odd issue. After updating the drivers the back chassis auto-sensing fan on the machine kept revving up and then slowing down. Then 30 seconds or so later it would rev up and slow down. Rinse, repeat, ad nauseum.

After 10 or 15 minutes of this annoyance I reached behind the machine to verify which fan was reving up and when I barely touched the back metal part of the 9800gx2 I just about got my skin burnt. The back was hot as a gun barrel. So, I quickly fired up the nVidia control panel and found somewhere, somehow in the driver updates the fan speed for the 9800gx2 had been set to 0. That's right 0. I expect even at 0 the fan spins just a bit.... but not much and certainly not enough.

So, if you're out there running Windows 7 and/or the newest nVidia drivers check your fan speed you might just save yourself a card replacement.

-Stephen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

50 000 Universal Drivers for Windows XP & Vista

50 000 Universal Drivers for Windows XP & Vista No more need to spend hours on-line browsing for drivers.

MORE>>>